- Human body has about 639 types of
- Muscles specialized to contraction are of 3
types: striated, unstriated and cardiac
Striated Muscles/Voluntary / Skeletal
- Also called skeletal muscles.
- These muscles are mostly attached to bones
by tendons and takes part in voluntary
movements under conscious control of
brain. Therefore they are called voluntary
- Each muscle fibre shows dark and light
striations and is covered by a sheath, the
- Its cytoplasm is called sarcoplasm in which
are present large number of contractile
- These smooth muscles are involuntary
- Functionally they are of two types –single
unit and multi unit.
- Single unit smooth muscles are present in
urinary bladder and gastro intestinal tract.
- Multi unit smooth muscles are present in
walls of large blood vessels.
- They are involuntary, striated and non
fatiguedfibres which are found in the wall of
heart where they form