I. BACTERIAL DISEASES TUBERCULOSIS
- mycobacterium tuberculosis, infection in lungs that causes high fever.
- BCG (bacillus – calmette-guerin) vaccine
- Mainly from 2-5 yrs, corynebacterium
- using DPT vaccine (Diphtheria, whooping
cough and tetanus)
WHOOPING COUGH or Pertussis
- Bacillus Pertussis
- Use of DPT Vaccine
- Vibrio comma
- Pathogens responsible for these diseases are
Escherichia coli, Shigella sp.,
Campylobacteria and Salmonella
LEPROSY or Hansen’s disease
- rod –shaped bacterium Mycobacterium leprae.
- clostridiumtetani. Disease of the C.N.S. (also
- ATS (Anti-tetanus serum) is prescribed
- Streptococcus penumoniae
- Caused by Salmonella typhi which is found
in the intestine of humans.
- Vaccine TAB (Typhoid Para A & B)
- Plague is primarily a disease of rat. It is
caused by rod shaped bacterium Pasteurella/
- Bacillus anthracis
- It is most common in agricultural regions
where it occurs in animals, but it can also
occur in humans.
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae. It is transmitted
through sexual contace (It is an infection of
the mucous membrane of the urinogenital
Compiled by Rex Christopher 3
- It may result in female sterility.
- Sexual disease caused by a bacteria,
TreponemaPilludum, transmitted through
II. VIRAL DISEASES
- caused by a virus : Paramyxovirus.
- rubeola virus.
- Varicella-zoster virus
INFLUENZA (or FLU)
- influenza virus.
- Rhinovirus (‘rhino’ means nose) which
belongs to picornavirus group.
- Caused by RNA virus called Rabies virus.
- Vaccine against rabies was developed by
- viral infection of liver.
- Hepatitis A (epidemic jaundice): hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B (Serum hepatitis) : hepatitis B
RNA containing dengue virus. It is transmitted by
the bite of female tiger mosquito Aedesaegypti
during day time.
- Arbovirus. It is haemorrhagic disease
transmitted by the infected Aedesaegypti.
III. PROTOZOAN DISEASES
MALARIA – Chloraquin vaccine
- Anopheles mosquito only female anopheles
- Quinane, a product of Cinchona tree, is
administered for Malaria.
KALA AZAR (Leishmaniasis)
- Leishmaniadonovani. sandfly
- dumdum fever
- Giardia intestinalis (first parasitic protozoan
- Trypanosoma. Main disease is Gambian
fever or West African sleeping sickness the
vector of which is Tsetse.
AMOEBIASIS (Amoebic dysentry or
- Ascarislumbricoides (Vector: Cockroach and
- Wucherariabancrofti. Transmitted by female
- Taeniasolium (or pork tapeworm)
Transmitted by pig.
V. FUNGAL DISEASES
- Caused by Microsporum.